The Application Developers Alliance is an industry association dedicated to meeting the unique needs of developers as creators, innovators, and entrepreneurs. Alliance membership includes more than 30,000 individual developers and more than 170 companies. We aim to be the rising tide of the industry, to deliver essential resources, serve as a collective voice on policy issues, and act as the connective tissue in the app ecosystem.
Who started the Alliance- why?
The Alliance was founded as a direct result of the rapid growth of the application development industry. The number of companies and individuals building apps and coding software created a need for an advocacy and resource organization to serve that constituency. The Alliance was founded by a group of small and large companies to meet that need.
Who are our members?
Anyone who writes code for a living or out of passion and the companies invested in their success can and should join the Application Developers Alliance. That includes large platforms like AT&T, Google, and RIM, small app publishers, industry tools like Flurry, and networks like Mojiva. View our corporate members.
How big is the Alliance?
The Alliance represents more than 30,000 individuals and more than 170 companies. We also partner with dozens of nonprofits and service providers to deliver additional value to our members, including discounted access to events and coworking spaces, free guidance and access to attorneys, and essential tools and resources for developers.
Who is on the Alliance’s Board of Directors?
View our Board of Directors.
What is the DevsBuild.It Resource Center?
The Resource Center is a library of Alliance created and curated content and materials from our members which includes white papers, interviews, best practices, videos, research, and events. All corporate members receive a dedicated page to customize content and distribute materials to our community of developers.
What are the benefits of DevsBuild.It?
Benefits of DevsBuild.It for members include:
- A dedicated company page; including branding and service or product information
- Ability to add developer resources, such as thought leadership articles, interviews, research or educational materials, all with backlink URLs and company attribution
- Access to developer job board to post current needs and opportunities
- Ability to add and promote your events within our industry calendar
- Opportunities for featured resources or sponsorship of recommended materials
What can my corporate page on DevsBuild.It do?
Your corporate page is a dedicated space for you to post and host information about you, your products and your expertise. These pages are customizable, searchable and all yours. Use them to introduce yourself to the community, launch a new service or product or drive traffic to and from the content you contribute to the Resource Center.
What does it cost to be a member of the Alliance?
The Alliance is a nonprofit organization and individual membership is free. Funding from our corporate members and sponsors supports our programming and activities. Our objective is service, not profit, and the dues structure reflects that goal.
Why should I join?
As an Alliance member, you will have access to DevsBuild.It, our resource center for developers, which includes:
- A global network of developers
- Resources to grow your business
- Industry research
- Information on regulatory and legislative issues that could affect your work
- A legal forum providing access to attorneys
- Discounts on services, events, and coworking spaces
- The Application Developers SmartBrief, a free daily roundup of the latest news and information for developers.
- Visit http://devsbuild.it/ to find out more.
How do I join?
Why should I become a corporate member - what do I get?
Corporate members of the Alliance receive a number of benefits, including:
- DevsBuild.It - Everything But the Code: DevsBuild.It helps innovators become entrepreneurs and ideas become businesses. The resource center is a library of Alliance created and curated content and materials from our members which includes white papers, interviews, best practices, videos, research, and events. All corporate members receive a dedicated page to customize content and distribute materials to our community.
- Business Development: Members have opportunities to engage with partners and customers through Alliance Working Groups, events, marketing channels, and topical research.
- Marketing: Members are encouraged to join us at events around the country and the world including conferences, summits, workshops, meet-ups, hackathons, webinars, and more. We can help facilitate speaking opportunities, sponsorships, and general event attendance through registration giveaways. We also encourage members to leverage our network through DevsBuild.It, our social media channels, email marketing, and the Application Developers SmartBrief.
- Advocacy: Developers should have the freedom to focus on innovating and creating great apps that improve peoples’ lives, and in doing so to help expand the economy and create good jobs. The Application Developers Alliance identifies and responds to public policy proposals based on our members’ analysis. Find out more.
How do I communicate with your members?
Facilitating communication between our members is central to nearly all of our member benefits and service offerings. Member communication can take on the form of dedicated content in any one of our member outreach channels (Twitter, Facebook, weekly updates, SmartBrief). The Resource Center, through topical forums, also enables members to communicate with one another and with individual members.
What is the dues structure?
Find the corporate membership dues structure here. For further information about the exact pricing of annual dues, contact the Alliance’s membership director, Laura Bolos at Laura@AppAlliance.org.
How do I join?
How many and what kinds of events does the Alliance host and participate in?
In 2014, we plan to host, co-host, and/or sponsor more than 50 events across the country. Events include hackathons, summits, happy hours, conferences, meet-ups and webinars. Events range in size and scope, but each offers an opportunity for members to market themselves and the industry as a whole.
How do your events benefit me?
Alliance events are intended to be both a resource to the industry and an opportunity for our members. Those opportunities can take the form of participation, speaking, sponsorship, attendance, hosting, media engagement, and any number of leveraged activities.
If I don’t live in a major city, can we still do events?
Alliance corporate and individual members live in every U.S. state and in countries across the globe, and we support the geographic diversity of our membership by bringing services to you. As often as possible, we will livestream and record events to host in DevsBuild.It so that members are able to access the content at their convenience. Our webinars also offer the opportunity for global member participation.
What are your advocacy priorities?
The Alliance is a representative association that provides benefits to our members and the industry, including policy advocacy. To promote the interests of developers as innovators and the continued growth of the app industry, with the guidance and support of the Alliance policy committee and Board of Directors:
- We educate elected officials and government offices about the app industry and app developers, including their positive economic impact nationally and locally.
- We inform Alliance members about legal and legislative issues that may affect their business and their opportunities to innovate and grow.
- We encourage action in favor of or in opposition to policy outcomes that could impact developers and the app economy.
What policy issues is the Alliance focused on?
- Data Privacy & Security
- Mobile and In-App Commerce
- Medical, Health, Wellness and Therapy Applications
- Spectrum and Bandwidth
How can I find out more?
What are Alliance Working Groups?
Working groups are comprised of Alliance members and shape Alliance programs, policies, and resources. The groups provide core expertise and guidance to the Alliance and its members through commissioned research, white papers, policy recommendations, and best practices.
What Working Groups has the Alliance launched?
- Health and Medical Apps
- Mobile Payments
- Business and Revenue
- Emerging Technologies and Research
Where can I find out more?
We welcome your feedback and are happy to respond to any questions you may have.
For general membership, billing, or account questions:
For members of the media inquiring about the Alliance, our programs, or a specific initiative, contact Courtney Lamie:
For questions or suggestions regarding member service offerings:
For information about upcoming Alliance events or to request sponsorship of an event: